As a Software Engineering Manager at FreshBooks you’ll be responsible for the development of several engineers. As a leader and manager, you’ll handle one or more development teams and help accelerate their execution. As a guide in the development and delivery of online service software and customer growth initiatives, your extraordinary technology skills will help you guide your teams through complex and ambiguous environments towards simple and elegant implementations.
You’re already a skilled Leader for a group of Developers, able to recruit new talent and champion development teams and their Leaders. Your technical experience with large-scale web technologies allows you to lead by example. Strong communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence across an organization. In all areas, you’re able to anticipate and plan for the future.
What you’ll do:
– Own and drive the execution of and be accountable for the technical vision of a crucial area for FreshBooks – billing services – by leading a group of developers and by working with other product development disciplines
– Expertly lead by example and manage a group of developers and technical leads
– Set, maintain and raise the level of technical excellence across your group and the entire development organization
– Work closely with the Product Development leadership, including VPs and Directors of Engineering, Finance, Product areas, to build a world-class engineering organization
– Attract and recruit talent across the organization to help execute the FreshBooks mission
– Anticipate and prepare for the future – technology, people, culture and process
What you have:
– Proven engineering management experience, either with an organization of 10 or more developers or over a period of at least 1 to 2 years
– Technical expertise in one or more relevant areas, particularly the design, implementation and maintenance of web services
– A history of establishing teams by developing leaders and recruiting exceptional talent
– The ability to influence an organization through exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
– A demonstrated ability to anticipate the future, navigate ambiguity, develop plans and successfully execute over multiple quarters
– A love of learning, a constant drive for self-improvement and a desire to help everyone be better
What you may have:
– Experience working with Finance stakeholders
– Experience working with Scrum or Agile teams
– Knowledge of some or all of Ember or similar technology, Flask or similar technology, Java, Swift, Objective-C, RabbitMQ, Celery, Puppet, Ansible, Docker, Cloud Platforms like GCP (or AWS), similar development technologies
– Experience with billing systems, and their respective integrations with other back office systems and user interfaces.